Our long-time supporters are keenly aware that our Founder, Annalisa Roger, started DotGreen Community, Inc. (DGC), to pursue the .green new top-level domain through the ICANN New gTLD Program. We have worked five years to bring together the green movement and the growing Internet, while promoting global sustainability initiatives and projects, including the formation and primary support of The DotGreen Foundation, a 501(c)3 Non-profit For Public Benefit Charity Organization.
On June 13, ICANN revealed there are three Internet industry applicants who, along with their expected portfolios of other new gTLD names, have also applied for .green. Why DGC’s application over the other three?
- DGC is a grass roots organization from Northern California and is the only one of four applicants for .green whose business model and policies are designed with a triple bottom line with a primary purpose and mission focused on the Green Movement. These facts are understood by the target audience, and speak to ICANN’s mandates of public benefit and trust. This will lead to success for the new gTLD program.
- DGC’s .green application includes a Public Charity Organization of the same name, The DotGreen Foundation, which already benefits the public. None of the other three applicants propose this. Again, this is in the Public Interest by delivering public benefits.
- DGC is the only .green initiative that initiated the concept and shared it with the world in 2007, and has since maintained a website and strong promotional presence and unique green brand. DGC is truly a “green” organization originating from outside the Internet industry. The green audience is discerning, and authenticity is paramount. Fostering trust among users and communities that identify with the gTLD is important for the overall success of the new gTLD program.
- Through a contract with Neustar, a public company and leader in technical operations of Internet infrastructure and Domain Name Systems (DNS), DGC has a robust technical application and consequently is the only applicant in the position to focus strictly on supporting, educating, and promoting the Green Movement. The other three .green applications come from technical registry operators who are in the business of running the technical support of many other new TLDs.
- “Public Benefit” is a critical part of the ICANN New gTLD Program and DGC’s application is the only application that has this as a focus and demonstrates this key aspect, both in the application and in actions and direct involvement for many years.
- DGC is the only applicant that has the three components required for success built into its business model – environmental, social and economic priorities – the “triple bottom line” essential for ALL green businesses and therefore essential for a .green TLD business.
If you are a community member of the Internet Industry or the Green Movement or both, we could use your valued support for the DGC application in the form of comments in your own words at this critical time during the ICANN evaluation process. As part of the ICANN evaluation process, stakeholder comments are welcome and there is a key date of before September 26th to get all comments for each of the applications submitted. The comment process is simple and is as follows:
To submit a comment:
Please use the link below. You will need to create an account, choose DotGreen Community Inc., choose “green” as the string, under “Panel / Objection Ground”, click on “Evaluation Panel” and “Registry Services” and then submit comments in your own words.
It would be helpful to begin the comment briefly stating who you are so it brings context as to why you are commenting and why you care about who gets .green. For example, “We are (your name or company), and we are a (type of company) for (what you create) that is involved with (area of sustainability).” This is also an opportunity to post any success and promotional points about your company, size, reach, uniqueness, etc.
You care about Green, about sustainability, about People and Planet or maybe you care about the success of the new gTLD program. DotGreen Community, Inc. is a positive win/win for everyone, including all applicants dependent on the success of ICANN – or the health of our planet. Show how much you care by having your voice heard! Let ICANN and the Internet Community know why DGC is the only option to truly bring Green and the Internet together via .GREEN. Please do a green action online today! You can make a difference!